Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "save as."
If you're a writer, musician, or other creative type (OR, if you would like tips on how to become more creative) I think you'll find a lot value in this episode.
I’ve shared the writings of today’s guest numerous times on my Instagram page, ThinkGrowProsper. His name is Markus Almond. You might not recognize the name but there’s a good chance you’ve seen a quote from his books on my Instagram page or somewhere else on the internet.
Markus is the author of the book Motivational Quotes to Get the Blood Moving, a collection of notes he wrote to himself to help guide him in different areas of his life.
I came across this book in a random Brooklyn bookstore I wandered into one day while Vanessa and I were visiting New York. I resonated with many of his insights and have wanted to pick his brain ever since.
Who is Markus Almond?
Markus started his career in the music industry as a songwriter with many of his songs played on MTV, E! Network and other television shows.
After moving to New York, he transitioned into writing books and poetry. Many of his works ended up reaching the Amazon best-sellers list.
I was impressed when I learned that some of his earlier self-published works were shared by celebrities and popular artists like Travis Barker (Blink-182), Rob Dyrdek (MTV), Steven Pressfield (War of Art), and others. In our conversation, I ask Markus how he was able to accomplish this.
After his success in the music industry and then later as a published author, he began teaching some of the principles he’d learned to other songwriters and authors. Today, he runs a mentorship program for songwriters and authors of all genres.
One of Markus’ deeply held beliefs is that success in any creative field can be replicated no matter where a person is starting from.
Show Notes and Time Stamps
- How he wrote his book, Motivational Quotes to Get the Blood Moving (8:45)
- Markus’ thoughts on intuition (13:45)
- Strategies he uses to cultivate his intuition (18:20)
- What compelled Markus to change careers from his punk rock music lifestyle to becoming a writer (19:25)
- Markus’ writing process (22:05)
- How Markus got influential people like Travis Barker, Rob Dyrdek, Steven Pressfield to share his work on social media (22:35)
- The number one piece of advice he gives his coaching clients when it comes to getting their message out there (25:45)
- His views on self-publishing (23:45)
- Tips for cultivating creativity (28:55)
- His top book recommendations for creatives (31:55)
- How he got best-selling author Steven Pressfield to give him feedback on his book (38:20)
- Creative strategies Markus has used to get his work out there (39:45)
- What a “Dream 100” list is and why he thinks it’s important (42:45)
- His three most important principles for success in any field (45:00)
- The concept of a "Customer Avatar" and why it's important (48:00)
- The overarching philosophy/ethic that guides his life (49:55)
Selected Links and Resources From the Episode
Markus’ zine: Brooklyn to Mars - Issue #12
Motivational Quotes to Get the Blood Moving by Markus Almond
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
The Hundred Dollar Startup by Chris Guillebeau
Dotcom Secrets Russell Brunson
His website MarkusAlmond.com
If you enjoy this episode and find value in this podcast, I humbly ask you to please subscribe and/or leave me a review on iTunes. Or you can just share this podcast with a friend who you think might find value in it. If you’ve already done any of these, I want to take a moment to sincerely thank you. I truly appreciate your support.
If you have any suggestions for future guests or topics you’d like to hear covered, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What did you think about this episode? Leave me a comment below!
Ruben Chavez is a writer, personal development educator, and host of The Think Grow Podcast. His Instagram account, ThinkGrowProsper, has amassed over 3 million followers. Along with his blog, these platforms are his way of inspiring and connecting with thoughtful, creative, and ambitious people just like you.