Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "save as."
If you are an artist or creator of any kind, this episode is for you. Mari Andrew (@bymariandrew on Instagram) is an author and illustrator who has built a massive and loyal following by sharing refreshingly honest illustrations about life, love, and vulnerability.
In our conversation, we talk about:
- How she created a career as an illustrator despite not having any formal art training
- What she contributes most to her success as an artist
- Why you shouldn’t feel guilty for getting paid for your creative work
- The benefit of not “fitting in”
- How she deals with criticism and trolls
- The power of stories
...and much more
Mari is also coming out with a book that expands upon some of her drawings with mini-essays about her journey: Am I There Yet? The Loop-de-loop, Ziggzagging Journey to Adulthood. We also talk about how that book came about. Mari is a delightful and intelligent woman who is not afraid to speak candidly about who she is and what she’s been through. I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did.